• 6 eggs, separated
• 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
• 2 (8-ounce) containers mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
• 1 ½ cups espresso or strong coffee, divided
• 2 tbsp plus ¼ cup amaretto, divided
• 20 to 25 packaged ladyfingers
• Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Prepare a 13×9-inch dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and ½ cup sugar.
3. Using an electric mixer beat for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. When the mixture becomes light yellow, add mascarpone, 1 tbsp. espresso and 2 tbsp. amaretto. Whisk the mixture until it is very smooth.
5. In another large bowl, combine the egg whites and ½ cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold it into the mascarpone mixture.
6. In a small bowl, combine the remaining espresso, amaretto and remaining ½ cup sugar.
7. Dunk a ladyfinger in the espresso mixture. Place the ladyfingers on the bottom of the prepared dish.
8. Pour half the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Spread the mixture out evenly.
9. Place the second layer of dip ladyfingers and another layer of the mascarpone mixture.
10. Gently dust the top with cocoa powder.
11. Cover with plastic wrap.
12. Place in the refrigerator for 3 to 8 hours before serving it.