- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 14 oz. bread flour
- 2/3 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Flour the paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and milk. Stir and heat to 110F. The mixture will become a smooth paste.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and spices. Mix into the butter mixture.
- Flatten the dough over the prepared sheet pan. Cover the pan and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with a piece of dough at a time, roll out to 1/16 inch thick. Keep the dough you are not using in the refrigerator. The dough will be sticky. Do not mix more flour into the dough.
- Cut the cookies using a 3-inch heart shaped cookie cutter. You can also use a star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for roughly 10 minutes. They will have a rich brown color.
- Decorate with Royal icing.