• ½ tsp dry yeast
• ¼ cup warm water (105F)
• ¼ cup sugar
• 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 1 egg
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• ½ cup boiling water
• vegetable oil for frying
• Powdered sugar
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Give it a slight stir. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water.
3. Mix in the yeast mixture. Stir it well.
4. In a stand mixer with a dough hook on medium speed, add the mixture and mix the dough until well combined.
5. Cover the dough and let stir for at least 30 minutes.
6. On a clean and floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼-inch thickness.
7. Cut the dough into 2 x 3-inch pieces.
8. Cover the pieces with a clean cloth and let the dough sit and rise until it doubles in size. This should take about 1 to ½ hours.
9. In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350F.
10. Carefully press down on the dough pieces to slightly flatten.
11. Add a couple beignets to the oil to fry. Flip when the first side is golden brown. Fry the other side until it is also golden brown. Remove the beignets from oil and let rest on paper towel.
12. Sprinkle with a lot of confectioners’ sugar before serving them.