- 1 fresh poblano pepper, minced
- 1 yellow pepper, small, diced
- 1 red pepper, small, diced
- ½ red onion, small, diced
- 2 ½ cups roasted or grilled corn
- ½ oz. butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¾ tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 4 cups corn meal
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- In a pot, in butter, sweat the peppers, onions, and chillies over medium heat.
- Stir in the spices.
- Stir in the milk and cream. Bring the mixture a boil. Then reduce the heat.
- Slowly whisk in the corn meal. Let cook for 5-10 minutes. The mixture will be thick. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together butter and the egg yolks.
- Temper the yolk mixture. You do not want to scramble the eggs. Add to the base.
- Place the corn meal mixture in the refrigerator to completely cool.
- Remove from the refrigerator and break into small pieces. Let come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the corn meal mixture.
- Butter and flour a baking dish.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. It will become golden brown.