Ingredients Pie Dough:
• ¾ tsp salt
• 1 1/3 cups pastry flour
• 1 tbsp sugar
• ½ cup vegetable shortening
• ¼ cup water
• ¼ cup milk
Ingredients Egg Wash:
• 1 egg, beaten
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 ½ pounds Granny Smith apples
• 2 tbsps butter
• 1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
• ¼ cup sugar
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• ¼ cup light brown sugar
• 1 1/3 cups water
• ½ tsp cornstarch
• ½ cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
• Pie Dough
• Egg wash
Instruction Pie Dough:
1. In a large bowl, sift together the salt, pastry flour, and sugar.
2. Using a pastry cutter (or two knives), cut in the shortening.
3. In a small bowl, combine the water and milk.
4. Slowly add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. You want to add enough to form a moist ball but only enough to have it hold it together.
5. On a clean and floured surface, knead the dough lightly.
6. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Instructions Egg Wash:
1. In a small bowl, mix together the egg and milk together.
1. Peel, core and cut your apples into quarters. Then cut into ¼-inch slices.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the apples, butter, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar and 1 cup of water. You want to cook until the apples become tender. You want them tender but not soft. Stir often so the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan.
3. Reduce the heat.
4. In a small bowl, mix together ½ tsp of cornstarch and 1/3 cup of water.
5. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the apple mixture. Stir for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat.
6. Preheat your oven to 350F.
7. Butter 6 individual baking dishes.
8. Place ½ cup of the mixture into each of the prepared dishes.
9. Cover each apple mixture with one tablespoon of blackberries.
10. Cover each dish with the pie crust.
11. Brush the top of each pie crust with the egg wash.
12. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm