- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated, lightly packed lemon zest (from 3 medium lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Lemon Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place paper cups liners in muffin trays.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt. Mix together well.
- In a small bowl, toss the remaining flour and blueberries together.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the milk, and lemon zest. The mixture should be hot but not boiling. Remove from the heat. When the mixture becomes room temperature, add the vanilla extract and stir well.
- In a stand mixer using a paddle attachment on medium-low speed, combine the butter and sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and egg whites one at a time.
- Mix in half the flour and mix well.
- Mix in half the milk and mix well. Repeat adding the remaining flour and milk to the mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries. Do not mix in or they will break.
- Equally, divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes. Bake until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out dry.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with the lemon frosting.