Disney Park Recipe:
Source: Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Recipes & Stories Celebrating 20 years
• 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
• 1 cup finely chopped almonds
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ cup sugar
• 32 sheets phyllo dough
• 1 stick butter (melted)
• 1 cup honey
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease, using butter, an 8×8-inch pan. Coat the bottom and sides.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the walnuts, almonds, cinnamon, and sugar.
4. Cut the phyllo sheets to fit in the bottom of the pan.
5. Place a newly cut phyllo pastry in the pan and brush with butter. Continue this step 7 more times.
6. Top the phyllo pastry with a 1/3 of the nut mixture. Cover with phyllo pastry and brush with butter. Do so 7 more times with the pastry and the butter. Continue this process until you have three layers of the nut mixture and four layers of dough.
7. Brush a thick coat of butter on top of the pan. Cut the unit into 16 diamond shape pieces. Use a very sharp knife for this.
8. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. It will become golden brown.
9. While it is baking prepare the syrup. In a large saucepan, bring the honey, sugar, water and lemon juice to a boil. Do this over medium heat. Making sure to stir constantly. Increase the heat when the sugar is fully dissolved. Continue to boil for 5 minutes or until it slightly thickens.
10. When Baklava is baked, pour the syrup into the cut edges of each piece. Let sit until completely cool.
11. Store for at least 8 hours before serving. Should be covered and at room temperature.