Disney Park Recipe:
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• ¼ cup water
• 1 ½ teaspoons cherry brandy
• 2 tablespoons apricot jam or preserves
• ¼ teaspoons strawberry extract
• 1/8 teaspoons red food coloring
• 1 pound cake (10 ¾ ounces)
• 1-pint strawberries
• 1 ½ cups heavy cream, divided
• 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts
1. In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil.
2. To the saucepan, add the cherry brandy. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, melt the apricot jam or preserves. If you used preserves, force them through a sieve. Mix in the strawberry extract and food coloring. Set the boil aside.
4. Cut the pound cake into three horizontally slices.
5. Wash, dry and remove the stems from the strawberries. Place 6 aside for later.
6. Slice the remaining strawberries.
7. In a medium bowl, whip up the cream. Fold in the strawberries that you sliced.
1. Place a layer of cake on a plate.
2. Brush the layer with the cherry brandy syrup.
3. Place half the strawberry-cream mixture on over the layer. Spread the mixture evenly over the layer.
4. Place another layer of cake, syrup and cream mixture.
5. Place remaining layer of cake on top.
6. Brush with syrup
7. Whip confectioners sugar in the remaining whipped cream, and spread a layer on the top and sides of the cake. Pipe a shell border around the top and the bottom of the cake.
8. Cut the remaining strawberries in half and place them in 3 rows on top of the cake.
9. Brush apricot glaze on the strawberries.
10. Around the edge, sprinkle the pistachio nuts. Chill.