- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 F – 115F)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse salt
- Prepared mustard (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, sugar, and 2 cups of flour. Beat until the mixture is smooth. Add more flour if you need too. The dough should be easy to handle.
- On a clean and floured surface, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 3-ounce pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Clover with a towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough. Twist the dough pieces.
- Take one piece with both hands and create the pretzel shape. Place on a baking sheet.
- After forming all the pretzels, cover with a damp dish towel and let sit until they double in size. Best to place them in a warm spot to rest.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and water.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the pretzels.
- Sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.