Ingredients Miniature Cakes:
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
Ingredients Chocolate Mousse:
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups well chilled heavy cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
Instructions Miniature Chocolate Cakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Into the egg mixture, mix in the sour cream until well blended.
- Slowly mix in the butter mixture. Mix until smooth.
- In three batches, mix in the flour.
- Spoon the batter into the miniature cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely for three hours.
Instructions Chocolate Mousse:
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Whip until the mixture is doubled in size.
- Slowly mix the egg yolk mixture into the melted chocolate. Make sure to continuously whisk or the eggs will cool. Stir until the mixture becomes thick. Let cool at room temperature.
- Add a small amount of whipped cream and stir really fast to lighten the mixture.
- In four batch, fold in the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture.
- Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Place a star tip in a piping bag.
- Place the chocolate mousse in the piping bag.
- Top each mini cupcake with the chocolate mousse in a swirly fashion.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.