Source: Disney Festivals Cookbook by Pam Brandon and the Disney Chefs
Ingredients Buttermilk Chocolate Cake:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients Chocolate Mousse:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 gelatin sheet
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 6 (3- or 4-inch) chocolate tart shells
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
Instructions for Buttermilk Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Use non-stick cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on low speed, combine the canola oil, eggs, sour cream and buttermilk. Mix together well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, cake flour and baking soda together. Stir the cocoa powder mixture into the buttermilk mixture. On medium speed, mix for 2 minutes. The battery will become smooth.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. the cake is ready when a toothpick is poked in the middle and comes out without batter on it. Let cool completely.
Instructions for Chocolate Mousse:
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate in 30 seconds intervals. This will make sure it doesn’t clump.
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatine sheet and cold water. Let it bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- In a double boiler, place 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Squeeze the excess water out of the gelatine sheet and add to the cream. Heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Heat until the gelatine melts.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture into the melt chocolate. Whisk until combined. It will become smooth.
- Into the cream mixture, slowly stir the egg yolks into the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine together the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and the cocoa powder. Using an electric mixer, whisk until the mixture has reached soft peaks.
- Gently fold the chocolate mousse into the melt chocolate mixture. Place in the refrigerator to set and until you are ready to serve.
- On the bottom of each tart shell, spread 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff.
- Cut the cake into circles the size of the chocolate tart shells. Place one chocolate cake round over the marshmallow fluff.
- Place a ribbon tip into a pipping bag, and add the chocolate mousse into the pipping bag. Pipe the mouse to cover the cake.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of graham crackers over the top of the tarts.