Source: tastemade and beavertails
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 packages instant yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Melted Chocolate
- Hazelnut Spread
- Oil for deep frying
- In a stand mier with a paddle attachment, combine the warm water, a large pinch of sugar, and yeast. Allow the bowl to sit until the mixture because frothy. This will take atleast five minutes.
- Once frothy, add 1/2 cup sugar, warm milk, melted butter, eggs and salt last. Whisk the mixture well together.
- Change the paddle attachment to a dough hook, and turn the machine on. Slowly add the flour. The dough will become smooth and slightly sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover in plastic wrap. Let sit and proof for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll out each piece into long oval shapes. They should be about 1/4 inch think.
- Heat oil to 350F in a deep pot.
- Carefully place dough into the hot oil. Allow each dough to cook fry 30 to 45 seconds each side. The dough will turn golden brown in color.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Spread a layer of the hazelnut spread over one side and drizzle chocolate on top.