Ingredients Lemon Pastry Cream:
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice
Ingredients Vanilla Tarts:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon very cold water
- 1 teaspoon very cold water
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
Ingredients Blueberry Filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients Blueberry Meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons pureed blueberries
Instructions Lemon Pastry Cream:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, ¼ cup sugar, egg, and egg yolks together. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, vanilla, and ¼ cup sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Remove one cup of the milk mixture and whisk it into the cornstarch mixture. Whisk fast and well because you don’t want the eggs to scramble.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the milk mixture. Whisk really well.
- Place the saucepan back on medium heat and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens. Again, continue to whisk because you do not want the eggs to cook.
- Once the mixture is thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into a heat-proof bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is pressed against the mixture. This will avoid a skim forming.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
Instructions Vanilla Tarts:
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks, water, and vanilla. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir together.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter should be the size of small peas. The mixture will resemble cornmeal.
- Mix in the egg mixture. Mix just until it is combined.
- On a clean and lightly floured surface, pat into a ball. Once in a ball, flatten and cut into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each dough into circles that are 2 inches large than the tart pan.
- Place each dough over the tart pan. Do not stretch. Use your fingers to press the dough into the sides and bottom of the pans. To remove excess, press down on the top edges. Use a fork to prick the bottom and sides of each tart.
- Bake for 15 minutes. The tart shells will become golden brown.
Instructions Blueberry Filling:
- In a large bowl, place water and ice to create an ice bath. The ice bath should be big enough to hold a medium saucepan.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water, and 1 cup blueberries. Cook until thick. Make sure to stir constantly.
- Stir in the cinnamon, remaining blueberries. Cook for another two minutes or until the mixture becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and place in the prepared ice bath.
Instructions Blueberry Meringue:
- In a large glass bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. You could also use a metal bowl.
- Slowly add the cream of tartar and sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the blueberry puree.
- Place blueberry filling in each tart.
- Place a layer of lemon pastry cream over the blueberry filling.
- Place the meringue in a piping back or large ziplock bag with the corner cut off. Pipe the mixture in a swirl over one side of the tart.
- Garnish with blueberries.