Ingredients Strudel Dough:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/8 cup bread flour
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 cup warm water
• ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
Ingredients Apple Strudel:
• Prepared student dough, rested
• 1 stick butter, melted
• ½ cup toasted breadcrumbs
• 1 1/2lbs apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
• ¼ cup raisins
• ½ cup cinnamon-sugar
Ingredients Vanilla Sauce:
• 3 each egg yolks
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1 cup heavy cream
Instructions Apple Strudel:
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Lay down a clean and lint-free tablecloth.
3. Stretch the dough over the tablecloth to paper thin.
4. Cover 2/3 of the dough with melted butter. It’s easiest to do this with a pastry brush.
5. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on one edge of the dough. Spread them about 3-inch wide.
6. Placed the apples over the breadcrumbs.
7. Sprinkle the raisins over the apples
8. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar raisins.
9. Roll the dough starting on the side with the apples. It’s easiest to grab the tablecloth and use it to help you pull the roll tight. The apples will be in the center when complete.
10. Brush the top of the dough with some melted butter.
11. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
12. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. You want it to be room temperature.
Instructions Vanilla Sauce:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar. Beat until thick and light
2. In a double boiler, scald the milk.
3. In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream. Once heated, add the milk.
4. Using an electric mixer, slowly add the scalded milk to the egg mixture. Beat well.
5. Place the entire mixture back into the double boiler.
6. While stirring constantly, slowly increase the heat until the mixture becomes thick.
7. Remove the pan, and place it in a pan of cold water. This will stop the cooking process.
8. Mix in the Vanilla.
9. Let the sauce cool, while stirring occasionally.