Source: The Disney Diner – thedisneydiner
Makes about 12 jumbo cupcakes
- 1 standard Chocolate Fudge or Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil
- cupcake liners
- 1 tub pre-made Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup Crisco Vegetable Shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 – 4 tablespoons milk
- 16 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 – 6 (full-size) Butterfinger Bars, finely crushed
1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Spoon batter into a paper-lined, jumbo-size cupcake or muffin pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool at least 20-30 minutes.
(For smaller cupcakes, use a standard-size cupcake pan and bake according to the time indicated on cake mix package. This method will yield about 24 standard-size cupcakes.)
2. After the cupcakes have cooled, use a sharp knife and cut out a 1-inch deep, 1-inch diameter circle out of the center of each cupcake. Carefully remove the center plug with the help of a large spoon and save the plugs for use later.
3. Scoop the fudge frosting into a pastry bag (or a gallon-size freezer bag and cut off the tip). Squeeze the frosting into the hole you cut out of each cupcake. Fill it up to just above the rim. Take the plug and replace it on top of the hole, upside down so that the peak is now facing upwards. Repeat for each cupcake.
4. To prepare Buttercream Icing: Place the softened butter, Crisco and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each. After all 4 cups have been blended well, add in 2 – 4 tablespoons milk one at a time. You may not need all 4 tbps. Beat again until the icing is a whipped, spreadable consistency.
5. Scoop the buttercream icing into a pastry bag (or a gallon-size freezer bag and cut off the tip). Pipe the icing in a spiral around the peak of each cupcake until completely covered. Take a small spatula or butterknife and spread the icing until somewhat smooth. Repeat on each cupcake.
6. Place the Butterfingers in a food processor and process until finely ground. Set aside.
7. Place chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 50% power for 30 second increments until melted, stirring occasionally.
8. Using a large spoon, pour the melted chocolate over the top of the buttercream icing. Spread the chocolate using the back of the
spoon until all of the icing is completely covered.
9. Immediately after coating with melted chocolate, sprinkle Butterfinger crumbs over the cupcake, covering the melted chocolate.
10. Let cupcakes cool on counter or in the refrigerator until chocolate shell has hardened.