• ½ cup rice milk
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 3 ¼ cups whole-spelt flour
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• 2 tsp salt
• 2/3 cup coconut oil
• 1 ¼ cups agave nectar
• 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
• 5 tbsp natural red food coloring
• Vanilla Frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Prepare to 12-cup muffin trays with paper liners.
3. In a small bowl, combine the rice milk and apple cider vinegar. Let this set-aside. This will be a substitute for buttermilk.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. To the flour mixture, add the oil, agave nectar, and vanilla. Stir the bowl until combined.
6. To the flour mixture, add the “buttermilk”. Mix until combined.
7. To the flour mixture, add the food coloring.
8. Fill each muffin tray with 1/3 cup of batter.
9. Place on middle rack of the oven and bake for 14 minutes.
10. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes. The cupcakes are finished when a toothpick can be placed in the middle of the cupcake and it comes out dry.
11. Let the cupcakes cool for 20 minutes in the tin. After the 20 minutes, remove the cupcakes from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.
12. Frosting with your vanilla frosting.