- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 2 cups key lime juice
- 1 cup egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar. Mix together well.
- Into a 10-inch glass pie pan, press the mixture into the pie pan evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well together.
- Stir in the lime juice. Mix well.
- Pour the filling into the prepared shell.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- The custard will be slightly firm to the touch.
- Let cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill completely.
- In a large metal bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar.
- Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water. The water should not touch the bowl. Heat until the mixture is 120F.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whip on heat speed until stiff peaks form.
- Allow cooling.
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Remove any moisture on top of the chilled pie.
- Cover the top of the pie with the meringue.
- Place in the hot oven until 2 to 3 minutes. Be very careful not to burn.