Disney Inspired Recipe:
Makes about 24 cupcakes
- 1 standard Chocolate Fudge or Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil
- cupcake liners
- Fudge Dipped Oreo Thin Bites
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup Crisco Vegetable Shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 – 4 tablespoons milk
- Royal blue gel food coloring (I like this)
- Star Sprinkles
1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Spoon batter into a paper-lined, cupcake or muffin pan. Bake according to package instructions or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool at least 20 minutes.
2. To prepare Buttercream Icing: Place the softened butter, Crisco and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each. After all 4 cups have been blended well, add in 2 – 4 tablespoons milk one at a time. You may not need all 4 tbsp. Add blue icing color in small increments and beat until the desired color is reached. Beat again until the icing is a whipped, spreadable consistency.
3. Scoop the buttercream icing into a pastry bag (or a gallon-size freezer bag and cut off the tip). Pipe the icing in a spiral on top of each cupcake until completely covered, ending in a peak at the center. Think sorcerer hat!
4. Place 2 Oreo Thins into the icing, 1 on each side, to be Mickey’s ears. Mini Oreos will also do in a pinch!
5. Sprinkle a few star-shaped sprinkles on each cupcake.
6. Serve and enjoy!