Disney Park Recipe:
Location: Lemon Grove Marketplace – Disney’s California Adventure Park – Disneyland
Ingredients Meyer Lemon French Macaron:
- 6 egg whites, from fresh eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- Zest of 4 large Meyer lemons, divided
- Yellow food coloring, about 12 drops
- Favorite blueberry preserves, for filling macarons
Ingredients Meyer Lemon Puree (For Marshmallow Filling):
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients Buttercream (For Marshmallow Filling):
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 egg whites, from fresh eggs, at room temperature
- 3 sticks + 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients Marshmallow Filling:
- 1/2 cup buttercream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Meyer Lemon puree
- Zest of 1/4 Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup favorite marshmallow fluff
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Place the baking sheets in the oven during preheating.
- In a stand mixer with a wire whisk, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip on medium speed until it foams. Should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- On medium speed, add one-third of the sugar. Whip.
- Add another one-third of the sugar and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining sugar and whip until very stiff peaks form. Replace whisk attachment to the paddle attachment.
- In a medium bowl sift the powdered sugar and almond flour. Sift the mixture three times. You want the mixture to be as fine as possible.
- In three parts, fold the flour mixture into the egg whites. Do not over mix.
- Mix in the food coloring and half the lemon zest. Make sure to add enough food coloring because the color will fade while baking.
- Place the batter is plastic piping bags with a small round tip.
- On a baking sheet (not from the oven) and place a Silpat or silicone mat on top of the baking sheet. Pipe macarons onto the mat in 1 1/2 inch diameter circles. Sprinkle a small amount of Meyer lemon zest over half the shells.
- Let the macarons stand for 30 minutes. The tops will become firm and dry to the touch.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, transfer the sheets over to the hot baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. The shells are done when they release from the mat. Let cool completely.
Instructions puree (For Marshmallow Filling):
- Peel the skin off the lemons with a peeler. Using a paring knife, scrape away any white pith from the peels.
- Juice and strain the lemons.
- In a saucepot, combine the lemon peels, honey, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the peels are tender. This will take 30 minutes. You might need to add more water.
- In a blender, add the lemon mixture, lemon juice, and salt. Puree the mixture until smooth. Set it aside.
Instructions Buttercream (For Marshmallow Filling):
- Place cubed butter in the refrigerator.
- In a large pot over low to medium heat, add the sugar and the water. Stir very gently, and do not get any sugar on the sides of the pot. It would form sugar crystals that you do not want.
- When the sugar temperature reaches 120F. Add the egg whites to a stand mixer. Whisk until the egg white are firm.
- When the sugar temperature reaches 240F and the sugar is dissolved, remove the sugar from the heat and let sit for one minute.
- Turn the stand mixer on low, and slowly add the sugar mixture to the mixer. Keep the steam away from the whisk and towards the edge of the bowl. That could cause chunks.
- Remove the cubed butter from the refrigerator and allow to warm a bit.
- Once all the sugar has been added to the mixer, turn the mixer to high and mix. Mix until the bowl is cool to touch. The mixture will have a shiny appearance. Should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Slow the mixer down to medium speed and add the butter in 3 sections.
- Whip the buttercream until it is smooth and it is stiff.
- Add the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into another bowl.
Instructions Marshmallow Filling:
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add the buttercream and mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon zest and lemon puree.
- Add the puree slowly to the buttercream.
- Gently fold the marshmallow fluff into the mixture.
- Place the cooled macaron shells on parchment paper. You want to match them up in pairs.
- Place the marshmallow filling in a pipping bag with a small round piping tip.
- Pipe rings around the edge of one shell. This will be the bottom of the shell.
- Spoon the centers with blueberry preserves.
- Carefully place the second shell over the first.