Disney Park Recipe:
Ingredients Bacon Brittle:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped, cooked bacon
Ingredients Bacon Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix, mixed according to package directions
- 1/4 cup chopped, cooked bacon
Ingredients Maple Cream Cheese Icing:
- 2 Large egg, whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 21-ounce can apple pie filling
Instructions Bacon Brittle:
- Place a silicone mat on your baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the sugar. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. The sugar will dissolve and the mixture will turn golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in bacon.
- Pour over the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mixture evenly over the silicon mat. Let cool for 45 minutes. The brittle should be completely cool.
- Break into 12 small pieces.
Instructions Bacon Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place whoopee pie mat on 2 half sheet pans.
- Mix cake mix according to the box or personal recipe.
- Stir in bacon to the complete cake mix.
- Fill the whoopie pie mats with the cake batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The cake will spring back when touched. Let cool completely.
Instructions Maple Cream Cheese Icing:
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks are formed. Set the bowl aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, place the sugar.
- Slowly add the water while stirring. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. The temperature should reach 240F. Remove from the heat.
- Whip the eggs into soft peaks again.
- Pouring along the side of the bowl, slowly add the hot sugar into the egg whites. Beat for 5 minutes. The bottom of the mixing bowl is cool to the touch and the egg whites are shiny.
- In three batches, add the butter. Increase the speed to high and mix for 4-6 minutes. The mixture will be shiny and smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. Mix for 30 more seconds.
- In a large bowl, place the cream cheese. Beat on a medium speed for 2-3 minutes. It should be very smooth.
- Combine the egg white mixture to the cream cheese. Beat on medium speed to 3 minutes. Beat until combined.
- Beat in the maple syrup on low speed. Set it aside.
- Place the icing in a piping bag with a large round tip.
- Pipe a ring around the flat side of 12 of the whoopie circles. Do not pipe the middle.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of apple pue filing into the center of the circle of the whoopie pie.
- Place another cake flat side on the icing and apple pie filling.
- Add one piece of bacon brittle to each whoopie pie.