Disney Park Recipe:
Location: Disneyland Resort Central Bakery – Disneyland
Source: Disney Parks Blog
Ingredients Kahlua Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua Liqueur
Ingredients Biscuit Roulade:
- 1/2 cup pastry flour or all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
Ingredients Coffee Buttercream:
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 tablespoons coffee grinds
- 1 cup fine granulated sugar
- 5 Large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, cold, and cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ingredients Chocolate Ganache:
- 11 ounces dark chocolate (58% cacao)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Instructions Kahlia Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the granulated sugar and water and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the Kahlua.
- Allow the syrup to cool.
Instructions Biscuit Roulade:
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Cover the bottom with parchment paper. Butter and flour the paper too.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix together and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a whip attachment, beat the egg yolks. Beat on high for 5 minutes. It will become thick and you will reach soft peaks. Slowly beat in the 1/2 cup sugar. The sugar will dissolve. Clean the attachment well.
- In the stand mixer with a whip attachment, beat the egg whites. Beat on high for 5 minutes. You will get soft peaks. Slowly beat in the 1/2 cup sugar until medium peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Carefully fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared jelly-roll pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- On a clean surface, lay a thin towel down and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Set it aside.
- When the cake is removed from the oven, use a knife to loosen the edges.
- Place cake on the sugared towel, the parchment paper will be side up. Slowly remove the parchment paper.
- Fold the towel along the longest side and roll up the cake. The towel will roll up inside the cake.
- Place the cake seam side down, and cool on a wire rack.
Instructions for Coffee Buttercream:
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the coffee grinds. Allow steeping for 5 minutes. Strain the liquid through a coffee filter into a bowl. Put the coffee concentrate aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the remaining 1/2 cup water and sugar. Heat until soft ball stage has been reached or 240F. It should take roughly 18-20 minutes. You want to keep sugar from crystallizing on the edge of the pot. To stop this use a pastry brush moistened with water around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat after soft ball stage is reached.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed.
- Slowly add the hot mixture in a thin stream over the whites while beating. Beat for 8-10 minutes. It will become smooth and shiny.
- Add the vanilla extract and coffee concentrate. Mix in until combines. Set the bowl aside.
Instructions Chocolate Ganache:
- In a large bowl, mix together the chocolate, butter, and honey. Set the bowl aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the whipping cream until it begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour the cream mixture into the chocolate bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Unroll the cake. Remove the towel. Baste the cake with the Khalua simple syrup.
- Spread the coffee buttercream over the cake. Stay 1 inch from the edges.
- Reroll the cake into a “log”. Place on the serving dish with the seam side down.
- Cover the chocolate ganache over the top and sides on the cake.
- Using a fork, score the ganache to make the cake look like a tree trunk.
- Decorate as you like and place in the refrigerator to set.
Note: You can decorate the log with meringue mushrooms, flowers, and leaves.