- 7 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Cups Egg Nog
- 2 Vanilla Beans (not to dry)
- 14 oz. Sugar
- 18 Egg Yolks
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 Oz. Brandy, optional
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Place shallow baking dishes on a baking sheet or pan.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, Egg Nog, Vanilla Bean, and half the sugar. Bring to a boil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, brandy, salt, nutmeg, and the remaining sugar. Whisk until the mixture become creamy, white and ribbons.
- Add a third of the cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture and whisk constantly. You do not want eggs to scramble to whisk well. Continue with the next two-thirds of the mixture.
- Strain the liquid to get rid of the clumps.
- Pour custard into the baking dishes.
- Bake 20 minutes. Bake until the custard is set.
- Let cool completely before placing in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle a solid layer of sugar over the surface of the cream.
- Using a propane torch, caramelize the sugar. It’s best to hold the torch 6 inches from the surface of the cream sweeping from side to side to brown the sugar evenly.
- Serve with Sugar Cookies and Candy Canes.