• ¾ ounce unflavored gelatin
• 1 cup water, divided equally
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup light corn syrup
• Pinch of salt
• ½ tbsp. peppermint extract
• 1 tbsp red gel food coloring
• ½ cup cornstarch
• ½ cup powdered sugar
1. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix the gelatin with ½ cup of water. Use an electric mixer for the best result.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining ½ cup water, sugar and corn syrup. Cook for 12-15 minutes. You want the mixture to reach 240F.
4. Remove the heat, let rest until the temperature is 230F.
5. Place the sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture.
6. Whip the mixture until thick. This should take 2 minutes.
7. Add the salt and whip for another 8-10 minutes. The mixture will double in size.
8. Add the peppermint extract and food coloring. Whip for 1 additional minute.
9. Place the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
10. Spray a spatula with cooking spray and use the spatula to smooth down the mixture.
11. Set the marshmallows aside and let sit for 4 hours.
12. In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch and powdered sugar.
13. Cut the marshmallows into 24 squares. Cover each marshmallow piece with the cornstarch powder. You want to really make sure they are completely covered.
14. Place in an airtight container to store until ready to serve them.