Happy Easter weekend everyone, and if you don’t celebrate Easter, Happy Discount Candy Day in a few days. Both are great for different reasons!
Usually my family goes all out on holidays. When I was first dating my husband he couldn’t believe how many family get togethers there was. As time goes on my family gets together less and less. I think most families are like that. As the family grows people get super busy. So this year we are keeping it quiet. Just a little family breakfast and spend some time together.
When I saw Sprinkles Cupcakes promoting their Easter Cupcakes they are serving at Disney Springs I thought they were adorable. They weren’t flashy and complicated like so many holiday cupcakes. They were simple and sweet. I knew we should make them.
The description said the cupcakes were chocolate and since we have their chocolate cake recipe I got to work making them. For the official recipe check out the official source: The Sprinkles Baking Book by Candace Nelson.
Today will be making the birds nest design which is the first of the three designs we will make this weekend. First we need to make the cupcake and the frosting before we can discuss how to decorate it.
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe:
Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 10 tbsps unsalted butter(slightly softened)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cupcake paper liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, white sugar and the light brown sugar. It will become light and fluffy. Do this on medium-high speed.
- Change the speed to medium-low speed, add half the flour mixture, mix, half the milk mixture, mix, remaining flour, mix, remaining milk and mix. Beat well until properly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 2 Cups
- 1 Cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 3 Cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- 5 tsp. Whole milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, and the salt. Mix on medium speed. It will be light and fluffy.
- On low speed, slowly add the sugar. Mix well.
- On medium speed, slowly add the milk and vanilla. Do not combine too much air while mixing.
Let’s get to decorating!
- Shaved Sweetened Coconut
- Sprinkles Vanilla Icing
- Sprinkles Chocolate Cupcakes
- Candy Coated Chocolate Eggs
- In a frying pan, toast the coconut until a light brown colour. Let cool completely.
- Frosting the cooled chocolate cupcakes with the vanilla icing.
- Scoop the toasted coconut in your hand and press it into the sides of the cupcake. Press firm to make sure the coconut stays.
- Place 3 candy coated in the centre of each cupcakes.
I’m happy to say these have been a big fan favourite in my family. I think it’s because they just give off these sweet and happy vibe. They are so tasty too.
Tomorrow we are going to make the Jelly Belly Cupcakes. My family had fun dyeing the coconut and eating jelly beans while making them.
Happy weekend friends!
Today I’m super excited to tell you how you can win your very own copy of Eat Like Walt – The Wonderful World of Disney Food by Marcy Carrier Smothers. You’ve heard me talking about it for weeks, and now you can win one. Everyone that I was spoke with about it loves it. Whether you are a history buff, a foodie or a Disney Parks fan, you’ll love owning this book.
Before I tell you how, let’s make a recipe from the book first.
Hi Dis Bakers!
Today we continue our series creating recipes from the book “Eat Like Walt” by Marcy Carrier Smothers. I don’t have to go on about how much I love this book because it’s a lot. I am also excited to tell you this week about the contest we are running so you can win a copy of the book. Stayed tuned on Friday to find out how you can win your very own copy of Eat Like Walt – The Wonderful World of Disney Food.
This Disney community is filled with some pretty rad people Whether they have blogs, vlogs, small shops, and everything in between, they are spreading the Disney love.
Today we are teaming up with some awesome Disney bloggers to share some Disney Tips. Follow the link after this article to learn a variety of tips you need to know before your next trip.
Hi happy bakers!
I thought I would tell you guys a funny story today about when I first moved to Florida. It’s a fish out of water type story and now I can look back upon it and laugh. My husband is from the south and there were certain things about living in the south he didn’t to warm me because he grew up there.
Hi happy bakers,
You guys have really liked in the past when we showcased members of the Disney community. We have talked about bloggers, vloggers, and podcasters. If they are part of the Disney community, we want to promote them. Around here we believe there is enough room in this community for everyone to succeed. It might sound cheesy but if we just help each other out then we will all shine.
Today in our Disney Community spotlight we are talking about the Obscure Disney Podcast. They have new episodes ever Tuesdays and Thursday. I listen to them on iTunes and you can find all their information at www.obscuredisneypodcast.com .
How is this beautiful ________ (fill in day you are reading this) day going?
I’m currently sitting down enjoying a piece of pie, it is Pi Day after all. You know the 3.14###### thing? Like a lot of people, those are the only numbers I know. Side note: Have you seen those genius children who can recite the number to 100 decimal points? They make me wonder what I’m doing with my life. At the age of 6 they are already smarter than I am. Sorry I went off topic.
Today we are continuing our series baking our way through the book “Eat Like Walt – The Wonderful World of Disney Food” by Marcy Carriker Smothers. If you have been following the blog series or our social media, you’ll know I’m a big fan. Big like how much Canadians love hockey and how much puppy’s loves treats. Real big fan.
You guys know I love pie. I really love most kinds of pie to be honest. It could be key lime, berry, free pie… free pie is always good pie.
Yet, there is nothing like a good slice of Apple Pie, and that’s what we are making today. Good old Apple Pie. It just brings images of grandmas baking on a Sunday afternoon. Well it does if you are from the United States. Otherwise it’s the pie you buy at the grocery store and you have seen in movies.
I am so excited to talk to you about something today. You guys know I love Disney books. I especially love Disney books that have recipes in them and I have a great one for you today!
One day I was in a major book retailer looking for new Disney recipes books. I don’t usually find any new ones but sometimes I get lucky. Into the search computer kiosk, I typed in “Disney Food” and BAM a new book appeared. I was pretty excited. It was called “Eat Like Walt – The Wonderful World of Disney Food” by Marcy Carriker Smothers. The computer said it wasn’t going to be available for a few months, so I waited. I told my whole family about how excited I was. Over a year later, it appeared on my doorstep.