Happy Easter weekend everyone, and if you don’t celebrate Easter, Happy Discount Candy Day in a few days. Both are great for different reasons!
Usually my family goes all out on holidays. When I was first dating my husband he couldn’t believe how many family get togethers there was. As time goes on my family gets together less and less. I think most families are like that. As the family grows people get super busy. So this year we are keeping it quiet. Just a little family breakfast and spend some time together.
When I saw Sprinkles Cupcakes promoting their Easter Cupcakes they are serving at Disney Springs I thought they were adorable. They weren’t flashy and complicated like so many holiday cupcakes. They were simple and sweet. I knew we should make them.
The description said the cupcakes were chocolate and since we have their chocolate cake recipe I got to work making them. For the official recipe check out the official source: The Sprinkles Baking Book by Candace Nelson.
Today will be making the birds nest design which is the first of the three designs we will make this weekend. First we need to make the cupcake and the frosting before we can discuss how to decorate it.
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe:
Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 10 tbsps unsalted butter(slightly softened)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cupcake paper liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, white sugar and the light brown sugar. It will become light and fluffy. Do this on medium-high speed.
- Change the speed to medium-low speed, add half the flour mixture, mix, half the milk mixture, mix, remaining flour, mix, remaining milk and mix. Beat well until properly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 2 Cups
- 1 Cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 3 Cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- 5 tsp. Whole milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, and the salt. Mix on medium speed. It will be light and fluffy.
- On low speed, slowly add the sugar. Mix well.
- On medium speed, slowly add the milk and vanilla. Do not combine too much air while mixing.
Let’s get to decorating!
- Shaved Sweetened Coconut
- Sprinkles Vanilla Icing
- Sprinkles Chocolate Cupcakes
- Candy Coated Chocolate Eggs
- In a frying pan, toast the coconut until a light brown colour. Let cool completely.
- Frosting the cooled chocolate cupcakes with the vanilla icing.
- Scoop the toasted coconut in your hand and press it into the sides of the cupcake. Press firm to make sure the coconut stays.
- Place 3 candy coated in the centre of each cupcakes.
I’m happy to say these have been a big fan favourite in my family. I think it’s because they just give off these sweet and happy vibe. They are so tasty too.
Tomorrow we are going to make the Jelly Belly Cupcakes. My family had fun dyeing the coconut and eating jelly beans while making them.
Happy weekend friends!